Thursday, January 13, 2011

Help.

25/11/10
There was an old well up top
of the hill outside of town,
Had a little memorial in the garden
for all the people who drank the water
and parted ways from this world,

I stared down the walls,
And I got the bucket, lowered it,
I didn’t give myself time to think,
I pulled it back up and swallowed it,
Now the real catch on the curse is
once you drink then you trip.

I looked up from so far down,
Could hardly see the sun,
And my voice sounded so little
and there was this running water
that I had to drink to save from drowning,

I tried to scale the walls,
But I just couldn’t find a grip,
Now I had too much time to think,
And I took scull and scull, no sips,
Now the real catch on the curse is
once you scull then you slip.

No way out! I was all alone
for real this time.
No way up! I was all stuck
for real this time.

This wasn’t like the times I sat at the bar
and I hung my head and ran my mouth,
This wasn’t like the nights I lay in my room
and I thought of hanging my own neck,
‘Cause now,

I’m at the bottom of the poisonous well,
It seems too deep to be pulled out,
I really cursed myself this time.
I’m just fighting to keep the liquid at my feet,
It rises fast and my stomach is full
But my throat, my guts scream out ‘drink’,
And this is no easy fairytale where a prince
will come, lower a rope and haul you out,
This is the curse of the poisonous well.

The sun plays peek-a-boo
And I cannot tell the time that has passed,
I think sometimes I sleep,
Because I think I had a dream
I had a shovel to dig myself deeper,
Now my only friend is the poison,

And what a friend it is,
It helps me celebrate, commiserate,
It helps me sleep, it helps me wake,
Mostly it helps me breathe,
But I guess it gives me the shakes.

And I stare up towards the sun
But it might be the moon for all I knew,
Visionless and directionless,
A complete wreck, the water
was getting harder to drink,
It made it’s way up past my hip,
And I’ve always been afraid of dying,
And I knew that I was dying,

So, so tentatively I called out “help”’

I heard an exclamation, ‘oh there’s
someone at the bottom of the well,
Here we are, a rope, hold on,
We’ll pull you out’.

Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment