Tuesday, February 22, 2011

end

9.2.11
I wake from a hazy dream
and see a transparent image
float in front of my eyes – I put
feet on cold floor and in a trance,
I follow, I follow to the door,
I follow out the door, I follow to
the end of everything,

Flames and wind whip all around,
tree’s and clouds alike,
Burning to the ground,
the end of everything has come,

I pinch myself – a nightmare
perhaps but the pain tells
me it’s not, the end of the world
is halfway through, I cower,
I whimper, a true coward,
I recoil into my head and pretend
like I’m not all alone,

I always knew I would die alone
at the end of something,
The waves are crashing,
but they’re flame resistant.

I don’t bother to scream,
I just wrap my arms around myself,
I just pretend I’m not alone,
I don’t bother to run,
The quicker the less painful,
Unless I too am resistant…

And it turns out I see the entire world
turns to smithereens, and I am truly alone,
As I look at what’s left – nothing at all

but me.

No comments:

Post a Comment