Saturday, April 4, 2009

52436

I met an elderly woman
sitting on a bench, just staring into space.
I asked 'Hey are you okay? What are you looking at?'
She replied 'I'm looking through a wormhole.
Who says time travel isn't possible?
I live in the past."
Patting the empty seat next to her,
She gave me a message.
"Human beings can be so brutal,"
she said to me,
"I was a new mother
when our family was pushed into a train
and driven far, far away
without a word of explanation.
They tattooed my skin without permission
And took my twin baby boys away.
My husband could not stand it.
But his cries sounded like an animal to them.
Like an animal, he was left bleeding on the ground.
It was meant to be the beginning of our life.
But they put needles in my baby's eyes.
No longer did my husbands brown eyes stare at me.
And when he saw they had stolen his eyes
from his children, he committed suicide.
Bloodshot, fearful eyes.
I could not cease my baby's cries.
Rocking in my arms, I watched
Young men and women
wait in line for a shower
Like water could ever clean the dirt away.
But they never came out clean.
They never came out at all.
And by baby's only stopped crying
after their souls were forced out by chemicals.
Their bodies vessels for experiments.
Even death did not bring them dignity
As a man tugged them from my arms
with a grin and excited eyes.
He was the only one in camp who ever smiled.
And so" she warned in a whisper,
"be sure every night to check under your bed
because despite what they say,
monsters do exist".

No comments:

Post a Comment