Wednesday, July 27, 2011

27-1-10
Don’t give me an ultimatum
‘cause this is an addiction
and you’re never going to win -
without a bottle in your hand
you’re not even making it through the door,
Can’t you hear me slur ‘more, more’,
Can’t you see it in my eyes
or hear it in my lack of words,
and this is such a vicious cycle.

You see, the bottle gives me courage,
and the anxiety cancels it all out,
so for the courage to speak I need it,
and then of course if I wish to speak honestly,
I need a little more,
and just to answer the door…
and just to get out the door…
and just to contemplate sociability…
and just to pretend I’m okay…
and, well, you might be beginning to get the point
by now, so come in with a bottle
or stay on the other side of the door,
and don’t give me ultimatums you think you’ll win,
‘cause this is an addiction,
and you’re just the person I love,
and as crazy as it seems love is less powerful
than addiction,
and you’re on the losing side.

No comments:

Post a Comment